Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bobbing Along (underneath the beautiful briny sea!)

The days are slipping by faster and faster, and there is still so much to do. I already finished teaching English at the kresh (well actually, it was done for me two weeks ago when the kresh up and moved mid-week to a new location, joining with another kresh that already had an English teacher in place) and tomorrow I will say goodbye to the center.

In the last couple weeks a lot has happened. My friend Kelsey came to visit and we went to Cappadocia with Ashley which was fabulous, and just as much fun the second time around. It was great to get to show Kelsey where I'd been living and have some good uninterrupted time with her. Then a fellow counselor from Camp Firwood was randomly in Antalya for the day, and it was nice to get to catch up with her.

Last weekend was the May Fair at church, centered around a baking contest and dessert auction. I made a chocolate walnut tart, and it won second place! I don't feel bad at all, because the first place winner was an absolutely deserving chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. The desserts were then auctioned to raise money for the extension that the church is trying to begin building this year. Having grown up at UPC, I have a very definite understanding that at these kinds of fund-raising auctions, it's not about getting a good value for your money. It should be about making a contribution to the cause. It was a little frustrating to realize that not everyone has the same opinion, and it made me appreciate all the more the generosity demonstrated at UPC's youth auction every year.

This past Tuesday was another holiday in Turkey, which meant no school on Monday or Tuesday, so I used the time to make a visa run. No one was able to go with me for the trip, so I checked off a lot of firsts - first time eating in a restaurant alone, first time staying in a hotel alone, first time vacationing alone in general! Actually, it was very nice. I took the bus to Kas, a city about 4 hours away, then took a boat over to a very small Greek island for the day. Both Kas and the island (Meis in Turkish, Castellorizo in Greek) were lovely, and at times it felt like what I imagine the Caribbean to be like. It was lovely! I think my favorite part was seeing pelicans swimming around the boat as we were leaving the harbor, and then again at the beach, standing between lounge chairs.

Now I am off for a busy, busy weekend and week! So many projects to finish up, thank you cards to write, and people to say goodbye to. Wish me luck!

No comments: