
In honor of Halloween, and the fact that Alli and I didn't want to let it go by without some sort of festivity, we threw a pumpkin party at the kresh! And of course, our idea of a small party quickly turned into a whole-school carnival. Which wasn't so bad, since there are only 25 students at the school, but wow!
I now have major respect for all those people who make Richmond Beach's carnival happen every year - there is a lot of planning that goes into booths, materials, prizes, volunteers, etc! I actually had a lot of fun thinking about what kinds of booths we wanted to have, and how to get the kids excited about it. Our Turkish is limited, so in true Tarzan/Jane fashion, we told the students that Friday was a holiday in America, where we eat lots of candy, wear costumes, and paint faces. That's really all Halloween is about, right?!
I now have major respect for all those people who make Richmond Beach's carnival happen every year - there is a lot of planning that goes into booths, materials, prizes, volunteers, etc! I actually had a lot of fun thinking about what kinds of booths we wanted to have, and how to get the kids excited about it. Our Turkish is limited, so in true Tarzan/Jane fashion, we told the students that Friday was a holiday in America, where we eat lots of candy, wear costumes, and paint faces. That's really all Halloween is about, right?! The pumpkin party was a blast! We borrowed costumes from Tansule (and it was probably the most complete, store-bought costume I've ever worn!), and she had tons of costumes at the kresh for the students. I was a clown, with a squeaky nose and everything, which the kids all took turns honking. Alli made a wonderful pirate, complete with a painted eyepatch! Alli and I made a pumpkin pinata, which was fun all around! Playing with flour paste and balloons is fun at any age. It turned out a little triangular, but still pretty cute. And our favorite neighborhood kirtasiye supplied the crepe paper and balloons! (Alli and I visit the kirtasiye down the street at least once a week, sometimes twice. The woman who works there has become a friend, and we always laugh with her that we are at the store, again! I love it though,
because it will be a great source to feed my addiction - card making.) We set up different booths around the room, including fishing, bobbing for apples, bean bag toss, face painting, costumes, dancing, coloring, and that game where you try to eat a donut off a string without using hands. I'm pretty sure that none of the kids had seen any of these games before, but they had lots of fun anyway.
because it will be a great source to feed my addiction - card making.) We set up different booths around the room, including fishing, bobbing for apples, bean bag toss, face painting, costumes, dancing, coloring, and that game where you try to eat a donut off a string without using hands. I'm pretty sure that none of the kids had seen any of these games before, but they had lots of fun anyway. Those kids are so cute in costumes! Every little girl wanted to be a princess, but we had quite a few amazing animals as well. My favorite part was towards the end, when we got everyone into a big circle to do some dancing. My EEU connections paid off, and we danced to a song I learned there, called "A Tootie Taw". Pretty much the most awesome preschool dance song ever - at the end you get to waddle around in a circle, with your tongue out, eyes shut, and rear-end in the air! I laughed hysterically at the mere thought of my clown-self in action. Good times were had by all, and much candy was eaten. A very satisfying halloween!

1 comment:
too much fun, Erin! You are definitely your mother's daughter.... So few of us can actually pull off a carnival, and you can do it in Turkish!
Love you--Sandy
Post a Comment