One of the students that I work with in one-on-one therapies at the center is particularly challenging for me. I don't know her particular diagnosis, but from what the teacher says, this 18 year old student has the mind of a one-year old. It took me a while to realize that the student was actually there for therapy with the teacher, because the teacher completely ignored her. Her thought is that the student has the mind of a one-year old, and therefore cannot learn, so it's not worth trying. This breaks my heart, because I believe that every student can learn. Up till now though, I haven't been faced with a situation that tests my belief. I know that this student has a lot to learn, but I've had a hard time knowing where to start. Normally during her therapy time (2 hours), she sits in a chair and does her version of twiddling thumbs. For the last couple sessions, I have tried to capture her attention, and evoke a response from her, but I have so far not seen results. Today though, after 20 minutes of playing "catch" with me, she reached for the ball!!!!! Three times!!! And the best part is, the teacher saw her interacting, and I hope, hope, hope, that she will take an interest and work with the student. That totally made my day, and deserves a big hurray for the student!

While we're on the subject of hurray... I live in the area of Antalya called Fener, which means lighthouse or lantern. It is named for the lighthouse that graces one of the rocky outcroppings of the cliffs. This is a view of the lighthouse, taken from Verna's porch. That deserves a hurray too!
3 comments:
Three catches is a real response, Erin. Yay for her!! Think what joy she felt. Maybe this is why you are there. Praying for your kids and you--Sandy
On this Sunday, I'm considering that sometimes my responsiveness to God is as slow as your new friend is to your ball-throwing, and it's a special joy to consider that God responds to my meager responses with as much joy as you have toward hers!
wow that means so much. she has probably been ignored most of her life. it breaks my heart. it reminds me of how Jesus spent time with those that most of the world wouldn't look twice at and you are getting to do the same thing! how exciting! I will pray for you and break through in the school!
Post a Comment