Sigh. After being here almost five months, the issues that I have with language are still present, but they have changed. I know enough Turkish to get around, and do the bare minimum with most things. I'm at the stage where I can usually guess/partially understand enough to know what a conversation is vaguely about, but not enough to completely understand or even actively participate. I can sort of teach a lesson without a dictionary on hand, but I rely heavily on the help of the classroom aids to translate my hand motions and facial expressions. Fortunately, this every-day stuff is no longer as frustrating to me.
Now the problem is that I know enough to understand, but not enough to be a part of things. I feel this specifically during lunch when I play volleyball with some of the physical therapists, teachers, and aids at the center. I feel very alone and on the outside of things, because there is so much friendly conversation going on, and I can catch the occasional word, but I am not really a part of the group, not really involved. This is frustrating for me because I am physically included, but not socially, which is what I long for. It's like being with a group of people who talk near you, but not with you. Grr.
The same issue of knowing some but not enough Turkish was played out this evening when I went out to see a movie. Towards the end of the movie, a young girl sitting with her family beside me somehow became unconscious. I was quickly aware that medical help was needed, but I don't know how to say "Somebody come quick, and call an ambulance!" in Turkish. Again frustrating, because all I could do was pray. Someone else went to get help, and the family left the theatre. At some point one of the kids came back to grab a forgotten sweater, which I took as a sign that things were okay (if they can think clearly enough to remember a sweater, she must be alright).
I guess the point is that there are holes in my Turkish (obviously, I've only been studying the language for about 3 months!) and I wish there weren't. It's a good thing I have a Turkish lesson tomorrow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hey girl - hang in there. i remember my days in tanzania - about month 4 or 5 i was feeling the exact same as you. it's a hard struggle, but i know you will come through this with flying colors! thanks for sharing your struggles as well as those things which inspire you.
most gracious God, reign down on Erin. open her mind and heart to understand and learn this language. i praise You for the work You are doing thru her. it's amazing the hear about these adventures!
oh how i feel your pain. so real. you said it so well!
and how CRAZY is that about the girl in the movie theatre!!!
Post a Comment