I know that as a non-coffee-drinker, I am an anomaly in Seattle. Apparently, I am even more so here in Antalya! Frequently, I have been offered coffee, and when I turn it down on the basis of the fact that I don't like the way coffee tastes, I have been scoffed at, and once (or thrice!) again offered the coffee. More often than not, Nescafe has been the coffee drink of choice, and somehow, my hosts seem to think that changes whether or not I will want to drink some coffee.
Today, the conversation went like this (you'll have to imagine the appropriate hand motions, sound effects, and volume control): "Would you like some coffee?" "No thank you, I don't drink coffee." "Haha, yes, you should have some coffee." "No, thank you, really, I don't like the taste, it makes me go "blech"." "Well, you should really have some coffee - I don't think you understand, it's Nescafe." "No really, I don't like coffee at all (wild hand motions)." "No - its NESCAFE, you know, NESCAFE? Not Turkish coffee, I'll just add a little of the Nescafe, so it won't be so strong. It's NESCAFE, you will have some." "Sigh. Alright."
I felt a little like the scene from Big Fat Greek Wedding, when the mother finds out the fiance doesn't eat meat, so she decides to make lamb. Nescafe is apparently better than just plain coffee, even in a whole different category, and therefore, I should have some.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
lol, but it IS a whole other category - have you had turkish coffee? it's like tar. ;) next time, tell them you're allergic (as i am) & ask for tea. i would think, it's their 2nd most beloved beverage, you'd be fine. ;)
p.s. in the middle east, it's considered rude to not insist upon your guests, so insistance = doting hospitality. ;) stubbornness, though, is also rampant. ;)
Erin, I've been offering you organic, free-trade, fresh roasted, fresh ground coffee for years! To think I should have just bought a jar of Nescafe.
What great adventures you are having. So happy for you! Sandy
that's amazing.
i love it! that is my mom she wants to make sure everyone is taken care of even if someone doesn't want something like coffee. haha!! maybe you could bring a tea bag with you so that they don't feel bad that you aren't drinking something.
Post a Comment